This is a strategy for all the music artists to show you how to get more Spotify streams. It’s a super low-cost way to strictly get a TON of streams to your Spotify music, legitimately.
I firmly believe that “fake it ’til you make it” is terrible advice. So first and foremost, do NOT buy streams from any website, ever. Not only does this cost more than you’ll earn, but you’ll completely wreck your music’s placements and algorithms. Plus, if you’re caught buying streams, you could get kicked off the platform. Advertise your music to real people, not bots.
In the meantime, though, you need to get your music out there and heard by as many REAL people as possible. And this is a great way to do it WITHOUT breaking the bank trying to compete with unofficial channels like Facebook ads or Instagram ads (which I will write about in detail soon).
This strategy is for Spotify only! Although it may work well on other streaming platforms, I have no knowledge of how successful it’d be on other services.
The best part? It’s super easy to do, and you’ll get the results in just a few days!
So here’s how to get more Spotify streams, which I’ll call the “Pandora Piggyback” method.
If you’ve used Pandora to listen to music, you’ll know that you enter a station by either artist, song, composer, or genre. When you enter an artist’s name, you’ll immediately start hearing music from that artist or music from an artist that Pandora deems similar to.
- Write down a list of 10 to 20 big-name artists’ channels that YOUR music would fit right into.
- Create a 25-second video using your BEST song. This could be a music video sample, a lyric video, or a nice picture with the song playing.
- Head over to your Facebook Business Manager and create a new Facebook ad campaign. Set the campaign objective to Traffic For the ad set, enter your daily budget, and set the ads to start at the current time. The end date is optional.
- The Audience section is the most important part of this, the “Who” you’re targeting. Now, since the goal is learning how to get more Spotify streams, we’re not worried about where the visitor is located. We’ll set the location to “Worldwide”. Keep “All Genders” and set an age range of about 10 years that ideally matches your target listener, for example, 30-40 for people that like MY music.
- The Detailed Targeting section is where this method shines. For the “Interests”, enter your list of big-name artists from step #1. IMPORTANT: Then click the “Narrow Audience” button below the list of names and a new field will appear. In this field “And must also match”, set it to Spotify. Then check the “Detailed Targeting Expansion” checkbox. (See Image 1)
- Next, create the Ad. For the ad format, choose “single image or video” and use the 25-second video clip. For the Ad Creative, keep it simple and straightforward. The Primary Text should be “Check out this New Single By (Your artist name)”. Display text should be “New (Genre) Song: (Song Name)”. (See Image 2)
- Set the website URL to your song on Spotify. If you’re not sure how to get your Spotify song’s URL, head over to Spotify, hover over the song, click the 3 dots menu, hover over share, and click “Copy Song Link” and paste it into the Website URL field of the ad. (See Image 3)
- Let the ad run. While it’s running, you can use the Facebook business dashboard to set the ad on a constant refresh. When you get enough streams (more on this in a minute), pause the ad and save it.
- At this point, you’ve started getting more streams on Spotify for your music! The more people that listen to your song while visiting your page or listening to your ad in their feed, the more they’ll eventually start listening to it on their own in the future. The benefits of that are huge!
I’ll show you a specific case study of this method. Now take a look at the last image. Image 4. With a budget of $1 per day, this 1 ad reached 23k people and got 2,694 clicks, at a cost of $0.003 per click.
That’s over 2K Streams from REAL Facebook users and only spending a total of $7.32. If your music is quality music and they save the song to a playlist, you can expect that number to continue to climb.
One of the key features of Spotify is social sharing and personal playlists. Tagging your friends on songs and following specific artists will allow that artist to show up in your feed and others’ feeds as a suggestion. When users add your song to their playlists, that is very valuable for you as it will expose your music to their friends.
How to get more Spotify streams by coercing the Spotify algorithm in your favor
Now, the main reason this works is that it takes advantage of the Spotify algorithm. Spotify has a discovery section that’s intended to play us new music that we may like. When an artist gets enough traction, their song will get added to the “Discover” section of more users’ feeds. This is how to get more Spotify streams organically without spending money on ads.
So how do you get your song to the top of the “Discover” section? There are two main components to this. The first component is related to getting Plays on Spotify. When your music continuously gets played, it will show up in more users’ discovery sections (provided they don’t already know about you). If you’re not seeing plays outside of your ad campaigns, you may not be getting onto the “Discover” section.
The second component is related to Facebook. When a song is featured in enough people’s feeds from Facebook listening sessions, it will get recommended to more users’ feeds that don’t even have the song yet. This is what you’re utilizing when you buy cheap Facebook ads. You get low-cost exposure to people who may not know about your music yet and expose them to it while they’re listening on Spotify. To take advantage of this, make sure the ad’s website link goes to a song on Spotify instead of an album or a download link.
The best part of this method is that it’s cheap, easy, and effective! I hope you try it out for yourself and see the results. If you need any help at all, let me know in the comments or we can work together one-on-one to market your music where I’ll personally set up a strategy like this one to ensure that you learn how to get more Spotify streams.
Comment your thoughts below if you think that this method will work for you, I’d love to see the results you’re able to achieve. If you’re still stuck learning how to get more Spotify streams, reach out to me and let’s work!